Some 12,000 students and panicked parents won a reprieve on Tuesday when Los Angeles schools Supt. Ramon C. Cortines said most students who attend schools outside of the district can continue to do so next year, a retreat from a recent, more restrictive policy that provoked an outcry from parents, other school districts and some members of his own Board of Education.
But whether students who live in the Los Angeles Unified School District will be allowed to continue to attend schools elsewhere after the 2010-11 school year remains unresolved. Cortines said he expects to return to the board in September with a new policy.
Last year, L.A. Unified released more than 12,200 students to 99 other Southern California school districts, including 945 to Beverly Hills, over 700 to Santa Monica, 1,700 to Torrance, 1,400 to Culver City and 1,400 to Las Virgenes.